Sunday, August 27, 2006

Imaging the dim past ... final chapter

The first consideration after form five was to get a job. I had a choice between the police force in Singapore or spend the rest of my life teaching school. I was excited about the first but the family was too persuasive with their tears that I decided to take up part time teacing in my former school as a private school teacher in the interim. One day we had a visit by the Director of Education, Mr Muir, from Alor Star, Kedah. He happened to be in my class as part of his job to observe the work that was done in the school. He told me that I should apply for the Teachers' Training course at Kirkby. The year was 1953. I was selected and was sent to Kirkby that same year for a two year course in education.

What I have done so far is to give the younger generation a glimpse of the past in the best light possible. It was, as it were, a serach for the roots although most of the story was centred on my perspective. Nevertheless it was largely the story of mum and dad, their perseverance and devotion for all my brothers and sisiters.
What happened after 1952 is recent history to be written by others.
I am happy to include some of the pre 1952 stories if people are willing enough to sit down and write what they have to add or subtract.
Bye for now.

No comments: